Private or tourist visit requiring a visa
The Swiss representations abroad are in charge of issuing visitor and tourist visas.
Important comment on permanent residence in Switzerland
A visitor visa or tourist visa is only valid for a temporary stay in Switzerland of up to a maximum of 90 days. If you wish to take up permanent residence in Switzerland, you must apply for an entry permit and state the purpose of your stay. The following links will guide you directly to the respective information pages.
Visa extensions may be granted in case of force majeure or if humanitarian or serious personal reasons prevail. In order for us to assess the situation, we need to see you personally at our office. If you are on a private visit, your personal guarantor is required to accompany you. If a visa extension involves children or adolescents under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must be present as well.
The following situations do not represent important reasons justifying a visa extension:
- awaiting a decision on permanent residence in Switzerland
- taking care of family members
- medical treatment unless it is an emergency in-patient treatment
- business reasons
- organizational reasons (e.g. personal assistance is required, no travel experience, communication problems)
Apply for visa extension
You will require a return visa if your visit is not governed by a permit. However, such return visa is only issued if one of the following requirements is fulfilled:
- if you meet the requirements related to residence in Switzerland, but your residence or settlement permit is temporarily not in your possession;
- if your application for a residence permit is pending and the Migration Office authorized you to stay here during the application procedure; or
- if the Migration Office or Residents’ Registration Office is reviewing your application to extend your residence or settlement permit and you wish to go on holidays.
In order for us to assess the situation, we need to see you personally at our office. If children under the age of 18 are involved, a parent or legal guardian must be present as well.
Is this page useful?
Thank you for your feedback
Montag bis Freitag
8.00 bis 16.30 Uhr
Montag bis Freitag
8.00 bis 12.00 Uhr und
13.00 bis 16.30 Uhr
Wenn Sie uns Ihr Anliegen auf elektronischem Weg mitteilen möchten, nutzen Sie bitte das Kontaktformular. Wir verfügen über keine E-Mail-Adresse.