The Agreement on the Free Movement of Persons generally applies to EU/EFTA nationals. Depending on your nationality, however, your access to the labour market may be restricted. Please inquire whether you need a work permit and whether your diplomas and certificates are recognized in Switzerland.

Table of contents

Access to the labour market

Before you may take up employment, your residence status must be clarified by your local authorities of your place of residence. The requirements for your residence and your work permit depend on your nationality and the reason for your stay. This also applies to persons who have recently arrived in Switzerland on grounds of family reunification or because they are in a partnership with a resident.

The free movement of persons generally applies to EU/EFTA nationals. However, access to the labour market may (still) be restricted depending on your nationality. For example, special transitional provisions still apply to Croatian nationals due to Croatia’s recent accession to the EU. Non-EU/EFTA nationals (so-called third-country nationals) may only take up employment if they have a work permit. We recommend that you contact your local authorities at your place of residence or the Zurich Office for Economy and Labour early on.

Find a job

Job offers can be found on the Internet or in newspapers. Additionally, there are also private employment agencies. If you wish to apply for job, you will have to submit various documents such as your curriculum vitae, a motivation letter and, if available, copies of your degree certificates, diplomas and job references.

Recognition of diplomas

We recommend that you inquire about the recognition of your foreign diplomas and certificates well ahead. Depending on the industry, the recognition procedures are complex and may require a long validation time. Not all foreign diplomas and certificates are recognized in Switzerland.


Fachstelle Integration More information


Neumühlequai 10
8090 Zürich
Show route


+41 43 259 25 31


Montag bis Freitag
9 bis 12 Uhr und 14 bis 17 Uhr

Für dieses Thema zuständig: