Here you will find information on where and how to get a COVID certificate in the canton of Zurich. Especially when you were vaccinated, have recovered from COVID-19 or have tested negative abroad.
Table of contents
What is the COVID certificate?
The COVID certificate provides documentary evidence that you have had a COVID-19 vaccination, have had and recovered from the disease or have tested negative. You can store the COVID certificate in paper form or in the COVID Certificate app.
Vaccination in Switzerland
Documented in the vaccination tool
Every vaccination carried out in the canton of Zurich is documented in the cantonal vaccination tool VacMe. The certificate is generated directly via the vaccination tool after the vaccination has been completed and can be downloaded from the user account.
Persons who do not have their own user account will receive the certificate by post, provided they have consented to the forwarding of the data and thus to the receipt of a certificate. If you wish to give this consent subsequently, you can do so via the cantonal vaccination hotline 0848 33 66 11.
EU Digital COVID Certificate
Have you already got an EU Digital COVID Certificate or a certificate that is compatible with the EU Digital COVID Certificate? If so, you don’t need to apply for a Swiss COVID certificate.
Apply for Swiss COVID certificate
Vaccinated with an EMA-approved vaccine
People vaccinated abroad (regardless of their country of origin) with a vaccine approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) can apply for the Swiss COVID certificate via the national application platform. To do so, use the following online form. These vaccines are approved by the EMA:
- Comirnaty (Pfizer/BioNTech)
- Comirnaty Bivalent Original / Omicron BA.1 (Pfizer/BioNTech)
- Comirnaty Bivalent Original / Omicron BA.4/5 (Pfizer/BioNTech)
- Spikevax (Moderna)
- Spikevax Bivalent Original / Omicron BA.1 (Moderna)
- Spikevax Bivalent Original / Omicron BA.4-5 (Moderna)
- Vaxzevria / Covishield or other licensed products (AstraZeneca)
- COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen / Jcovden (Johnson & Johnson)
- Nuvaxovid (Novavax)
- COVID-19 vaccine Valneva (previously known as VLA2001) (Valneva)
- VidPrevtyn Beta (Sanofi Pasteur)
You must also be able to provide sufficient evidence of the vaccination performed abroad and your stay in Switzerland, and be able to prove your identity.
Use the accordion controls to toggle the visibility of each panel (below the controls).
1. For your application, you require at least the following information:
- Information on your nationality or on your residency status in Switzerland (e.g. copy of passport)
- Confirmation of vaccination (e.g. vaccination certificate with details of the vaccines, date of last vaccination, number of doses received, existing certificate if applicable)
- Reason for your stay in Switzerland, how long you are staying and where
- Proof of address or residence or proof of arrival in Switzerland (e.g. plane ticket, train ticket, or accommodation booking)
2. The necessary documents must be in Latin script and must be submitted in German, French, Italian or English.
3. Download the COVID Certificate app free from the Apple App Store, Google Play Store or Huawei App Gallery. Your COVID certificate can also be directly delivered to the app.
If you are not resident in Switzerland, you will be charged CHF 30 for your application to be processed. This sum should be paid by credit card during the application process.
In the canton of Zurich an application usually takes no longer than 24–48 h to process. We strongly recommend that you apply for a certificate one week before your trip to Switzerland. You should also check your e-mail inbox at regular intervals. The relevant agencies may ask you to provide further information and documentation if they have doubts about the authenticity of the submitted documents or have any queries. They can also reject applications if the doubts cannot be resolved. In such cases, you will not be entitled to any refund of your fee.
Request rejected or technical problems
Has your application been rejected or have you had technical difficulties? We will then be happy to see you at our stand in Zurich Main Station at Zurich Tourism. Beforehand, you can send your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org for examination and, if necessary, to arrange an appointment.
Persons with residence permit vaccinated with WHO emergency-approved vaccine
If you have received a vaccine that is on the WHO emergency use list and if you belong to one of the following groups of persons, you will receive a Swiss COVID certificate that is EU-compliant and meets the common validity period.
You must have received one of the following vaccines:
- BBIBP-CorV / Covilo (Sinopharm / BIBP)
- CoronaVac (Sinovac)
- COVAXIN (Bharat Biotech)
- Convidecia (CanSino Biologics)
And you must belong to one of the following groups and be able to provide evidence of this:
- You are a Swiss national.
- You are a foreign national with a short-term residence permit, residence permit, permanent residence permit or cross-border commuter permit.
- You are deemed provisionally admitted.
- You are deemed in need of protection.
- You are an asylum seeker with a permit or confirmation.
- You hold a legitimation card under the Host State Ordinance.
- You hold a Ci permit.
You must submit the application to the issuing body in person so that your details can be checked on the spot.
AJDMT Medical Services AG, Witzbergstrasse 23, 8330 Pfäffikon ZH (Bus 830 from Uster train station and Pfäffikon train station, bus stops directly in front of the building)
Appointment in advance
Please make an appointment in advance by mail email@example.com. If you have any questions, please call us via +41 44 404 51 62 (from Monday to Friday, 08:00 to 17:30).
Use the accordion controls to toggle the visibility of each panel (below the controls).
For your application, you require at least the following information:
- Information on your nationality or on your residency status in Switzerland (e.g. copy of passport/ID/residence permit)
- Confirmation of vaccination (e.g. vaccination certificate with details of the holder, administered vaccines, the institution that performed the vaccination, date of last vaccination, number of doses received, existing certificate if applicable)
- Reason for your stay in Switzerland, how long you are staying and where (e.g. travel documents such as flight ticket, train ticket or accommodation reservation)
- If your application has been rejected: receipt of the online application or e-mail with reason for rejection
The necessary documents must be submitted in German, French, Italian or English.
You can also download the COVID Certificate app free of charge from the Apple App Store, Google Play Store or Huawei AppGallery. Your COVID certificate can also be delivered directly to the app.
Are you resident in Switzerland? If you apply for the certificate in the canton of Zurich where you live you will not incur any costs.
If you are not resident in Switzerland or if you are applying for the certificate in a canton where you do not live, you will be asked to pay a contribution for the issuing of the certificate.
People who have recovered from COVID-19
Recovery in Switzerland
Confirmation with PCR test
People who have recovered from a COVID-19 disease in Switzerland with PCR test confirmation can apply for a COVID certificate using the following online form. The certificate will then be sent by post in paper form within 7 days. Some laboratories also issue the certificates directly and send them by e-mail.
Confirmation with rapid antigen test
Certificates of recovery based on a positive rapid antigen test can only be applied for via the National Application Centre and are not issued by the testing body.
People tested positive abroad (regardless of their country of origin) and having recovered now, can also apply for the Swiss COVID certificate via the Confederation's central platform. To do so, use the following online form. To this end, you need to present an official document confirming the lifting of your isolation period with the name and address of the official body and proof of the positive PCR test.
For more information on the application process, the required information and the costs, please click here:
People who have tested negative
Negative PCR test
The COVID certificate will be delivered directly to your COVID Certificate app on application. Already when the sample is taken you must say that you want a COVID certificate.
Negative rapid antigen test
You can request the COVID certificate from the test centre directly. This can either be done on the spot at the centre, or you will receive your certificate digitally by email or direct to your COVID Certificate app.
Only rapid antigen tests with a nasopharyngeal swab are now approved. Since the quality of samples from nasal swabs is insufficient, such tests no longer lead to a certificate. This will increase the reliability of the result and reduce the risk of infected persons receiving a certificate due to a false negative test result.
No certificate for self-tests
COVID certificates are not issued for self-tests.
Validity and use
The certificate requirement was lifted in Switzerland on 17 February 2022. The sanitary measures for entering Switzerland have also been lifted. There is no longer any need to present proof of vaccination, convalescence or negative tests or to complete an entry form. However, the COVID certificate can still be used for travel abroad.
Period of validity in Switzerland only formal
As of 6 September 2022, the «Validity in Switzerland» field will no longer be displayed on the certificate in the «COVID Certificate App». Instead, the app shows the date of the vaccination or test. Since the certificate obligation in Switzerland was lifted in February 2022 the Swiss validity periods have only existed formally.
The Swiss validity period is also irrelevant abroad, as the rules of the respective country apply in each case. Holders must continue to find out for themselves how long a certificate is valid in the destination country or whether exceptions apply (for example, certificates for certain vaccines could only be valid from a certain time).
Most countries in Europe have now also removed the certificate requirement for entry. The «Validity abroad» function has therefore also been removed in the «COVID Certificate» app.
Now the app shows how many days or hours ago a vaccination or test was carried out. This makes it easier for keepers to find out whether their certificate complies with the rules of their destination country (if the country still requires a COVID certificate).
Information on regulations abroad
Helpful websites (besides the website of the authorities of the transit or destination country) on entry regulations and areas of use of the certificate in other countries are the following:
Period of vailidity after vaccination
270 days from when the last vaccine dose was administered.
The following exemption applies to people who received the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine: The certificate is only valid from the 22nd day after the vaccine dose is administered.
Period of validity after recovery from COVID
Tested positive with a PCR test or a rapid antigen test
The certificate is valid from the 11th day after the positive test result and lasts for 180 days from the date of the test result.
The COVID certificate on the basis of an antibody test is no longer issued.
Period of validity after negative test
PCR test: 72 hours from when the sample was taken.
Rapid antigen test: 24 hours from when the sample was taken.
Is this page comprehensible?
Thank you for your feedback
Gesundheitsdirektion - Impfung