Table of contents
As a former pre-trial prison, the Affoltern am Albis Prison (Gefängnis Affoltern a. A.) has since early 2001 been exclusively housing inmates who are serving a prison sentence of no more than 18 months.
In view of an upcoming release, this enables a focused supervision that can be adjusted to the person’s individual needs.
Besides the concept of group therapy, which aims at reinforcing the individual responsibility of the inmates, education at the appropriate level is offered since 2007 (project title: »Education in Prison”). For inmates with lesser language skills or cognitive limitations, there are support programs in mechanical skills.
The aim of corrections is to give the inmate the best possible prerequisites for his rehabilitation into society. This also supports the main goal of the penal system, namely prevention of recidivism.
Before you visit
Getting a permit
If you want to visit a detained person, you need a written permit.
To obtain a visitation permit, please fill in the form below (in German) and mail it to the prison management, Gefängnisleitung Affoltern am Albis, Gefängnis Affoltern, Besuchswesen, Im Grund 15, 8910 Affoltern a. A.:
Wait for your permit
Registration by phone
When you visit, please bring with you:
Excerpt rules of visit
There are strict rules regarding visiting a detained person. Here is an extract from the visiting regulations of the corrections department:
- Inmates are generally permitted one visit per week.
- Visiting time is one hour. Unused visitation times expire.
- The number of visitors per visit is determined by the prison management. In any case, no more than three people are permitted.
- Non-authorized items plus coats and jackets are not allowed in the visitors’ room. Headdresses of religious nature are allowed after examination.
- All visitors have to prove their identity. For children of three years of age and older, an ID or passport needs to be presented.
The complete house regulations can be found here (in German):
Money transfer to inmates
Cash for inmates can be handed in during visiting hours at the beginning of each visit.
Money may be transferred as well. Here are the bank account details:
|Deposit for||Gefängnis Affoltern, 8910 Affoltern am Albis
|IBAN||CH39 0900 0000 8005 7216 3|
Supervision and treatment
At the correctional institution, the following services are at the inmates’ disposal:
- Medical care (when needed)
- Psychiatric service (when needed)
- Social service (Monday through Friday)
- Pastoral work provided by the national church or other religions
The specialists of the correctional facility provide an around-the-clock support for the inmates. At the same time, they are responsible for the safety and a well-organized running of the house.
Education and training
The Affoltern am Albis Prison enables its inmate to get basic education. This basic education enables the inmate to close education gaps, especially in reading, writing, and arithmetic, to expand his general knowledge and to learn handling tools such as computers. Generally, expertise, self-competence, and social competence are promoted.
The improvement of the chances of reinsertion into the job market and into society is the main objective of the basic education.
For the inmates, work is mandatory. The Affoltern am Albis Prison carries out assignments from third-parties. Inmates may carry out the following tasks:
- Packing of mailings
- Cardboard packaging
- Food processing
- Copper recycling
- Lounge furniture made from Euro pallets