Table of contents
The Airport Prison (German: «Flughafengefängnis») was built in two stages. In February 1995, the department pre-trial and corrections was opened, thus enabling four smaller regional prisons that were in need of renovations to close (Alt-Pfäffikon, Andelfingen, Bülach, and Uster). In late 1996, the Administrative Detention Department began its operations.
The Corrections Department now houses inmates with sentences up to 18 months.
The Administrative Detention Department is the oldest and largest institution of its kind in Switzerland. Therefore, and because of its immediate proximity to the Zurich-Kloten airport, it is of major importance.
Before you visit
Visiting hours Corrections Department
Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays:
9am to 11am
1.30pm to 3.30pm
Getting a permit
To visit a detained person, you need a written permit.
For your visitation permit, please fill in the form below and send it to the prison management of the Airport Prison. The form for issuing a power of attorney for underage children to visit the Airport Prison is available in German:
Wait for your permit
Registration by phone
When you visit, please bring with you
Extract visitation regulations
There are strict rules regarding visiting a detained person. Here is an extract from the visiting regulations:
- A detained person is allowed one visit per week.
- Regular visiting time is one hour. Unused visiting hours expire.
- The number of visitors per visit is determined by the prison management. In any case, no more than three visitors are permitted at a time.
- Non-authorized items plus coats and jackets are not allowed in the visitors’ room. Headdresses of religious nature are allowed after examination.
- All visitors have to prove their identity. For children of three years of age and older, an ID or passport needs to be presented.
For complete visiting regulations please check the complete house regulations (in German):
Supervision and treatment
Medical service is available in every facility. Seven days upon entry, all inmates will be given a medical check-up at no charge.
- In case of psychological issues, inmates will be taken care of by a psychiatrist or a psychologist.
- Inmates may talk with pastoral workers of the national church or with representatives of other religions on a regular basis.
- Social service is in charge of the social counselling for the inmates.
Persons within the Administrative Detention Department who are willing to work will be offered a suitable work opportunity according to the possibilities of the facility. For those imprisoned in the Corrections Department, work is mandatory.
The inmates may perform the following tasks:
- Enveloping, hemming
- Assorting of sample collections
- Preparing and unfolding of boxes
- Counting, weighing, assembling
- Packaging of mounting kits
Head of working establishments:
+41 43 258 18 50
Sport and leisure
There are various parlour games at the inmates’ disposal in the common room. A leisure program goes by the inmates’ needs. Inmates have the opportunity to use the gym.