The professional support and learning programmes division comprises the department for learning programmes (LP) and the department of forensic psychological testing (Abteilung für forensisch-psychologische Abklärungen, AFA). Both departments perform tasks by request of both external clients and parties from within the Probations and Corrections Services.
Department of forensic psychological testing
In the Eastern Switzerland Corrections Concordat (Ostschweizer Strafvollzugskonkordat, OSK), the department of forensic psychological testing is affiliated to the Zurich Probation and Corrections Services, in the Northwestern and Central Switzerland Concordat (Nordwest- und Innerschweizer Konkordat, NWI), it is affiliated to the Probation and Corrections Services of the Canton of Bern.
The departments of forensic psychological testing perform important services for their corrections concordat for the implementation of risk-oriented execution of sanctions (Risokoorientierter Sanktionenvollzug, ROS): forensic expert support and risk assessments (www.rosnet.ch / Glossar / forensischer Fachsupport und Risikoabklärungen, in German).
The department of forensic psychological testing is a ROS-specific organizational unit. Tasks, responsibilities, and competences of the departments of forensic psychological testing are defined in the AFA Standard and the ROS Standard (www.rosnet.ch / Glossar / ROS-Standards, in German). The mandate of the department of forensic psychological testing is not to be adapted or expanded by the respective Concordat or by the canton to which the department is organizationally affiliated. This can only be initiated be the ROS inter-concordat coordination unit (Interkonkordatliche Koordination ROS).
Organizationally, the ROS administration is part of the Probation and Corrections Services of the Canton of Zurich. Concerning administrative and personnel matters, it is subordinate to the office. Concerning topical matters and expert knowledge, however, the office has no authority over the ROS administration. Tasks, responsibilities, and competences of the ROS administration are defined in the ROS Standard (www.rosnet.ch / Glossar / ROS-Standards, in German).
The ROS administration is responsible for the concept. This comprises:
- quality management to ensure an implementation of ROS that is true to the concept as well as the further development of ROS tools and the ROS process (cf. QS concept);
- specifying subject- and content-specific quality standards for the departments of forensic psychological testing and making sure they are complied with;
- the responsibility for the technical implementation of the ROS tools in the application ROSnet;
The ROS administration organizes and coordinates the following ROS services for all ROS cantons and ROS work partners:
- quality management and quality development;
- professional and technical support;
- ROSnet support, further development and training (cf. ROSnet Standard);
- information and communication for all things ROS (i.a. events and the management of the website www.rosnet.ch).
The Probation and Corrections Services carry out targeted learning programmes on a cognitive and behaviour-oriented basis with specific groups of offenders. At the moment, nine different programmes are available. In order to achieve good results, the trainings are preceded by extensive evaluation sessions.